BMW and Daimler plan next steps for joint mobility company
The BMW Group and Daimler AG are planning the next steps for their joint mobility company, following approval by the responsible competition authorities. The basis for this is the approval of the U.S. competition authorities, which was received on Tuesday, December 18, 2018. This means that all antitrust authorities involved have given the green light for the new joint venture, which is owned in equal parts by the BMW Group and Daimler AG.
The companies say that the joint venture will focus on "ensuring the personal freedom of customers in the field of urban mobility," adding that a new mobility offering will be created that is "easy to access, intuitive, and focused on the needs of the user."
Now that the approval of the competition authorities has been received, the companies say the next goal is to close this transaction by January 31, 2019. Once this major transaction closes, the new mobility company will present next steps in the first quarter of 2019, in conjunction with the BMW Group and Daimler AG.
The equally owned joint venture will encompass the following activities and services.
- Multimodal and on-demand mobility with moovel and ReachNow: Users are expected to benefit from intelligent and seamless connectivity between different mobility offerings, such as carsharing, bike rental, taxis, and public transport, including booking and payment. The multimodal platform will also offer possible solutions for the needs of urban private transport, including providing cars as a service.
- Carsharing with Car2Go and DriveNow: The two entities operate a total of 20,000 vehicles in 30 major international cities.
- Ride-hailing with mytaxi, Chauffeur Privé, Clever Taxi, and Beat: A total of 15.9 million customers and around 250,000 drivers already use the services of mytaxi, Chauffeur Privé, Clever Taxi (all in Europe), and Beat (South America).
- Parking with ParkNow and Parkmobile Group/Parkmobile LLC: Ticketless, cashless on-street parking or help reserving and paying for off-street parking in a garage.
- Charging with ChargeNow and Digital Charging Solutions: Easy access (including location, charging, and payment) to a network of public charging stations.