Velodyne introduces a compact, potential $100 LiDAR
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. introduced Velabit, the company's smallest sensor, which is targeting a $100 price point in high-volume production. The Velabit leverages Velodyne’s LiDAR technology and manufacturing partnerships to enable cost optimization and high-volume production.
The company states that the Velabit delivers the same technology and performance found on Velodyne’s full suite of state-of-the-art sensors. The compact Velabit is designed to be embedded almost anywhere within vehicles, robots, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), infrastructure, and more. It is designed to be easy to manufacture at mass production levels.
The Velabit is engineered to be an optimal automotive grade LiDAR solution for advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous vehicles. It was designed to enable perception coverage for blind-spot monitoring, cross traffic detection, automatic emergency braking, and pedestrian and bicyclist safety. Configurable for customer application, this mid-range sensor can be combined with other Velodyne sensors, such as the Velarray, for high-speed operation or function as a standalone LiDAR solution in low-speed applications.
The Velabit’s features include:
- Integrated processing in a compact size of 2.4” x 2.4” x 1.38”—smaller than a deck of playing cards—to be easily embedded in a wide range of solutions
- Range of up to 100 meters
- A field of view (FoV) of 60-degree horizontal FoV x 10-degree vertical FoV
- Configurability to support a range of applications
- Class 1 eye-safe 903 nanometer technology
- Bottom connector with cable length options
- Multiple manufacturing sources scheduled to be available for qualified production projects
The Velabit will be available to high-volume customers in mid-2020. It is on display at Velodyne Lidar’s CES 2020 booth located at the Las Vegas Convention Center North Hall – booth #7520.
For more information, visit https://velodynelidar.com.